On 19 Nov, 2012, at 20:26, PJ Eby <p...@telecommunity.com> wrote:

> Data files should never be installed to package directories.  But I'm not
> aware of any good reason why resource files should ever be installed anywhere
> *else*.

To be (too) snarky: because the FHS says so.

Less snarky, Linux distributors try to keep simular files together (for example
storing all gettext translations together in /usr/share/locale).  To play nice
in such an enviroment Python packages would have to install resource files
outside of the python package and into the FHS specified directory structure.
That again would mean there needs to be an API to access such files because it
is not always necessary to store resources separate from their python package
and because the FHS linux specific.

Storing resource files outside of packages directories seems to be only
relevant for software that's packaged by a Linux distribution, not for python
packages installed into a virtualenv or on other platforms.

Ronald