On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net> wrote:
> I think the short answer, as always, is: getting pip into the stdlib would
> require a tremendous amount of work that some would have to want to do[1]
> before it could happen. IIUC, the current direction is something like "get a
> packaging standard into the stdlib that people can build tools on top of"
> c.f. distutils/packaging.

That's part of it, but the other part is that the 18-24 month release
cycle is too long to be sensible for a tool like pip. Hence the plan
to have a comparatively minimal "pysetup", whose main task would be to
let people run "pysetup install pip". The relative immaturity and lack
of testing of pysetup was one of the factors that led to "packaging"
being dropped from 3.3 (though there were other bigger problems).