Just a note here:

the wxWidgets (and thus wxPython, natch) project has a wxStandardPaths
object:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_standard_paths.html

It provides a cross platform way to get, well, the standard paths an
application might need:

GetAppDocumentsDir ()
GetConfigDir ()
GetDataDir ()
GetDocumentsDir ()
GetExecutablePath ()
GetInstallPrefix ()
GetLocalDataDir ()
GetLocalizedResourcesDir ()
GetPluginsDir ()
GetResourcesDir ()
GetTempDir ()
GetUserConfigDir ()
GetUserDataDir ()
GetUserLocalDataDir ()

These all "do the right thing" on the supported platforms -- something may
be in the application install dir on Windows, int he app bundle on the MAc,
and it /etc on Linux, for instance.

granted, wx is an application framework, so it needs this stuff, but while
pip is about installing python packages, there really is no clear line
between at package with a script or two and an application, and even simple
scripts may need a few of these things. I don't see why we couldn't include
a set like this, and have platform-specific mappings.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov