On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To put the "but what if the user doesn't have SSE2 support?" concern in
> context, it should only affect Intel users with CPUs older than a Pentium 4
> (released 2001), and AMD users with a CPU older than an Opteron or Athlon
> 64 (both released 2003). All x86/x86_64 CPUs released in the past decade
> should be able to handle SSE2 binaries, so our caveat can be "if your
> computer is more than a decade old, 'pip install numpy' may not work for
> you, but it should do the right thing on newer systems".

Exactly

>  However, from my perspective, having NumPy readily available to users
> using the python.org Windows installers for Python 3.4 would
> *significantly* lower the barrier to entry to the Scientific Python stack
> for new users on relatively modern systems when compared to the 4 current
> options

+1

with a note: This isn't just for users of the SciPy Stack -- there are LOT
of use-cases for just numpy by itself. Not that I don't want folks to have
easy access of the rest of the stack as well -- just sayin'

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov