David Genest wrote:
> 1) add the dependent dlls to every package that needs it (Steve's answer
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2014-September/024982.html
> concurs that the dependent dll would be loaded only once)

This is the best approach regardless of what else works/doesn't work. Doing
this will ensure that your extension module loads the correct dependencies
regardless of what other packages or versions are installed in the same
environment.

The Scripts folder is not necessarily on the path for all users, and nor is the
Python directory itself. Depending on how you launch Python, you may get DLLs
loaded from the Python directory or the Scripts directory, but either way you
should _always_ get DLLs loaded from the same directory as the extension
module. Neither directory is intended to be a dumping ground for all the
dependencies used by packages.

I see no reason 'pip wheel' should produce different wheels to bdist_wheel (but
perhaps there is one?), so I would consider this a bug.

Cheers,
Steve