On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Randy Syring <ra...@thesyrings.us> wrote:

> On 12/03/2014 09:01 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>   Many users, like myself, download source releases exclusively, and
>   to us, wheels are irrelevent.  However, users on Windows or who use
>   systems without build tools for some reason, will experience
>   breakage as soon as people stop creating traditional binary releases
>   in favor of wheels.
>

> Does that have to be the case?

Yes, users of buildout on systems without build tools will experience
breakage if packagers stop distributing any of the older binary
formats.

This will remain true until either setuptools grows wheel support, or
until buildout uses something else (other than setuptools).

> As one of the maintainers of pymssql, we are
> in the process of figuring out what type of packages we want to ship as
> maintainers.  Wheel's can be binary releases and, in fact, is what we are
> going to build for Windows support going forward.  That may certainly
> frustrate some automated processes that expect the old package types we used
> to ship, but we absolutely want to support binary releases with wheels
> specifically to support users that don't have build tools.

I understand.  I assume you'll continue to supply source distributions.

I don't want to dictate, but the situation is what it is. If you've
followed this thread, I hope you can appreciate the quandary we're in.

> Am I missing something about binary support with wheels?

I don't think so.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton