On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Tim Smith <t...@tim-smith.us> wrote:

> A way of learning about setup_requires dependencies would be helpful for
> homebrew-pypi-poet [1], which helps generate Homebrew formulae for
> applications implemented in Python.

Indeed -- conda is similar -- it provides a "conda skelton pypi" command,
that grabs a package from pypi and (tries to) create a conda build setup
for it.

similarly to brew, the intent is to capture and handle the dependencies
with conda's system.

I don't have anything to do with the development, but I _think_ it actually
builds the package in order to then extract the dependency meta-data -- it
would be nice to not do that.

It actually succeeds with a lot of packages without any hand-editing after
the fact, to it's not so bad!

> As Chris Barker notes, --single-version-externally-managed is a good way
> to get setuptools-based setup.py's to just install the package;
> --single-version-externally-managed hands the install process over to
> distutils. Of course, distutils setup.py's do not support the
> --single-version-externally-managed option.

yeah, conda jsut uses plain "setup.py install" by dfault, you have to go in
and add --single-version-externally-managed by hand to the build script.
Maybe it would be better to add that automatically, and let the few
packages that don't use setuptools remove it by hand...

-CHB

> To have a consistent CLI interface, Homebrew borrows a shim from pip's
> source to make sure we always call setuptools.setup() when we run setup.py
> so that we can hand the install back to distutils:
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Homebrew/language/python.rb#L78-L94
> -- thanks to Donald for pointing to the right place in the pip code.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov