On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Dan Stromberg <drsali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this the general perspective on static linking of python module
> dependencies?  That if your systems are the same, you don't need to?

That's general -- nothing specific to python here.

There _may_ be a difference in that you might be more likely to want to
distribute a binary python module, and no be sure of the level of
compatibility of the host sytem -- particularly if you use a non-standard
or not-comon lib, or one you want built a particular way -- like ATLAS,
BLAS, etc...

I want static linking too, but if it's swimming upstream in a fast
> river, I may reconsider.

well it's a slow river...

The easiest way is to make sure that you only have the static version of
the libs on the system you build on. You may be able to do that by passing
something like --disable-shared to configure, or you can just kludge it and
delete the shared libs after you build and install.

-Chris

> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Bill Deegan <b...@baddogconsulting.com>
> wrote:
> > Gordon,
> >
> > If you are sure that your dev and production environments match, then you
> > should have same shared libraries on both, and no need for static
> linkage?
> >
> > -Bill
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Dan Stromberg <drsali...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> installed
> >>
> >> Maybe pass -static in $LDFLAGS?  Just a wild guess really.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov