On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, it does suggest a possible alternative approach to naming
> these compatibility subsets: what if the name of this particular
> platform compatibility tag was something like "linux-sciabi1", rather
> than "manylinux1"?

That's an interesting idea, but I personally don't see the manylinux1 list
as particularly
"scientific". If anything, I'd call it "minimal".

> That way, if someone later wanted to propose "linux-guiabi1" or
> "linux-audioabi1" or "linux-videoabi1", that could be done.

This would be something, but if we want to have Linux binary wheels that
tightly integrate
with system libraries for certain use cases, the *really *valuable thing
would be https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/pull/30/files, more
so than specific ABI tags, IMO.

-Robert