Perhaps, before anyone tries to make pip doing something mechanical about
deprecations, we should just have the website itself do this sort of redirect?
Removing the download would be drastic; giving people an interstitial that says
"This package is no longer maintained, please use $X instead" would be very
informative.

-glyph