I think it would be very cool if you could install a package editable
without the repo-url.

The default repo-url can be defined in the meta-data of the package.

Background: I came across this becaus saltstack prefers the branch "develop",
but
most other repos use the branch "master".

Yes, this is no big problem. I figured out the right repo url soon.

Next use case: you use software third-party-foo-lib in your project.
Up to now you use it as package. You find a bug and want to fix it.
Wouldn't it be great if you could just type "pip install -e third-party-foo-lib"
and now you are read to create pull requests?

What do you think?

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler

--