On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 6:23 AM Paul Moore p.f.mo...@gmail.com
<http://mailto:p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

- YAML ought to be wonderful, but it ended up over-engineered (yes, we
> can ignore the bits we don't care about). Also, pyYAML is a bit of an
> annoying dependency (big, reportedly slow unless you use the C
> version) - not something I'd want pip to have to vendor.

Perhaps a more limited YAML library like Poyo would address some of the
concerns we have about using PyYAML.

https://github.com/hackebrot/poyo#readme

Poyo in particular may be *too* limited, but I wonder how much it would
sway people if we used YAML but not PyYAML.

Anyway, here are some relevant snippets from Poyo’s README:

Please note that Poyo supports only a chosen subset of the YAML format.
It can only read but not write and is not compatible with JSON.
…
Poyo is 100% Python and does not require any additional libs.

Nick
​