On 01Aug2016 0702, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 1 August 2016 at 23:36, Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
build_ext command determines
the DLL extension. It could be patched or modified to read an "I'm ABI3"
flag on the Extension() object.

We could pass an ABI3 flag to bdist_wheel in the same way we ask for
universal 'py2.py3-none-any'. To be set if the wheel contained only ABI3
extensions, and ignored on py2.

The general idea sounds good to me, but as a slight bikeshed on the
flag name, perhaps "cpabi3"?

That's a mash-up of the 'cp' interpreter code for CPython, with the
'abi3' stable ABI tag.

Longer term, we may want to allow people to version that (as new APIs
may sometimes be added to the stable ABI, which you gain access to at
the C level by setting Py_LIMITED_API to the corresponding CPython hex
version rather than just defining it [1]), but as a starting point
enabling access to the initial 3.2 stable ABI used by cffi should be
sufficient.

The DLL tag on Windows will have to just be ".pyd" if you want to support back prior to 3.5. In 3.5 you can use ".cp35-win32.pyd" or ".cp35-win_amd64.pyd" and the importer will prefer that DLL over a plain ".pyd", but my proposal to also support ".cp3-${PLAT}.pyd" here didn't make it.

The wheel tag is more important than the DLL tag. (Possibly you're not even suggesting changing the DLL name at all and just passing the flag through for the build option? Hard to tell from the discussion.)

Cheers,
Steve