On Aug 17, 2016, at 03:21 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>This means that the situation we've managed to get to now is that we
>have wheels as a satisfactory replacement for the "binary
>distribution" use case, but we haven't even *tried* to replace eggs
>for the "standalone path entry" use case.

I'm very sure I don't understand something, because I thought wheels were just
fine for the import-from-sys.path use case.  I mean, pip does this and in
Debian, we have a program (dirtbike) that turns installed package's file
system layouts back into wheels so they can be put on sys.path and imported
from.

Cheers,
-Barry