The discussion started here: https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/pull/750

Basically, I don’t understand exactly why that functionality was disabled, but
I give my best guess in that ticket - mainly that I think data_files is
incompatible with encapsulated installs, so I suspect it was explicitly,
intentionally excluded, though I’ve found no evidence to that effect.

So for now, for compatibility, I’ve explicitly excluded that functionality with
a comment.

I’ve also explicitly overridden _add_defaults_python to capture the overriding
behavior, which while similar isn’t identical. I’m leaving it as a subsequent
exercise to see if that implementation can be merged.

In my conclusion in that PR, I’ve suggested we go ahead and re-enable
data_files, though I suggest we also add a test capturing that expectation.