On 17.03.2017 15:35, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 17 March 2017 at 19:58, Ronny Pfannschmidt
> <opensou...@ronnypfannschmidt.de
> <mailto:opensou...@ronnypfannschmidt.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everyone,
>
>     while looking over the recent peps i noticed that we keep a few
>     inherent inefficiencies in where to find dist-info folders
>
>     because they include version numbers, to get a distribution we
>     have to search for it
>     which is no longer really sensible as we no longer have
>     multi-version installation in any upcoming standard.
>
> Linux distros still use multi-version installation fairly regularly -
> it's how services like EPEL are able to offer parallel installs of
> frameworks and libraries that are also in base RHEL/CentOS without
> breaking anything.
>
> The associated code to populate __main__.__requires__ and hence get
> pkg_resources.require() to do the right thing isn't pretty, but it
> *does* work.

as far as i understood, such dreaded code just fixes up sys.path, and
thus the precedence will solve the issue
dropping version strings from dist info does not prevent walking
sys.path in order

so i don't think it will break anything.

note that im not talking about dropping general multi version install or
setuptools multi version install,
im talking about removing the version number from the dist-info folder
as for all installation schemes that use it, there is exactly one
version in precedence order on sys.path

Cheers, Ronny