On Fri, May 19, 2017, at 03:41 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> Can we specify what encoding the informational text must be written
> in?

Sure, that makes sense. What about:

All hooks are run with working directory set to the root of the source
tree, and MAY print arbitrary informational text on stdout and stderr.
This text SHOULD be UTF-8 encoded, but as building may invoke other
processes, install tools MUST NOT fail if the data they receive is not
valid UTF-8; though in this case the display of the output may be
corrupted.

Do we also want to recommend that install tools set
PYTHONIOENCODING=utf-8 when invoking build tools? Or leave this up to
the build tools?

Thomas