On 23 August 2017 at 01:37, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Bootstrapping self-hosted packaging tools is a genuinely hard problem

True, but on the other hand, it's the self-hosted packaging tools' own
problem. It's up to the tools themselves to solve it.

if PEP 517 simply establishes that the current directory of the source
distribution will be naturally at the head of `sys.path` (whether an
original checkout or a cleaned up sdist), then self-hosted packaging tools
can be their own backend, and do whatever magick they need to
self-bootstrap.

It makes sense to think a bit about whether we're not making these cases
harder, but we shouldn't block progress of PEP 517 on account of these
cases.

If we specifically want to make these cases easier in the future, we might
think of another PEP to expose to backends certain frontend operations like
"provide me the sdist (or wheel) for requirement foo >= 2.3.0 but don't
install it and don't fetch dependencies" so we can make sure certain
configurations like "what is the index server?" or "how do I use a web
proxy?" are centralized and consistent.

Regards,

Leo