WRT the return value, I don't really care. But I am strongly in favor of
removing the build_dir option as I think that the entire premise is wrong.
During development, you want to use an editable install, which does modify
the source tree. And if you're just installing, then you don't care about
cache. And there is also nothing preventing pip from caching the temporary
directory, which may contain build artifacts.