On 16 January 2018 at 19:47, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that if the pipenv docs had some better guidance on what use
> cases it was intended to cover (and what it wasn't, in relation to the
> broader range of pip+virtualenv use cases) that would help people
> better understand its place in the ecosystem.

That's fair, and making the PyPUG tutorial specifically about
*application* dependency management was an initial step in that
direction - for the library development use case, you're generally
going to step out of pipenv's world as soon as you try to run your
tests across multiple versions.

The basic usage constraint is that pipenv expects you to control your
target Python version, and it expects you to have exactly one - to go
beyond that (as is needed for multi-version library support), you'll
still need to drop down to the lower level tooling, either skipping
the use of pipenv entirely, or else by using `pipfile lock
--requirements` to shift levels.