> On 2018 Apr 11, at 06:55, Jorge Maldonado Ventura <jorgesu...@freakspot.net>
> wrote:
>
> I need to execute a command automatically when running `pip install` to solve
> https://notabug.org/jorgesumle/boot-em-all/issues/1
>
> I need to do that to compile the translation files. I found that overriding
> the `setuptools.command.install` makes it work with `python3 setup.py
> install`, but I want it to work with pip as well. Any advice or think I
> overlooked? Is there a clean or recommended way to do this?
>
> The whole code is free software, so you can check my `setup.py` file. The
> repository can be cloned executing `git clone
> https://notabug.org/jorgesumle/boot-em-all`.

This can't be done.  `pip install` installs from wheel (.whl) files, and that
installation process currently (and, I believe, by design) has no provision for
running arbitrary code.  You have two options:

1. Extend the `setup.py bdist_wheel` command to compile & bundle the
translation files as part of building the wheel.  I personally don't know how
to do this, but I believe the process is somewhat similar to extending the
`setup.py install` command.  Note that if the compiled translation files are
architecture-dependent, you'll also need to add the appropriate tags to the
wheel.

2. Give your library a `boot_em_all_compile_translations` command for compiling
the translation files, which the user must then run manually after installation.