As I announced yesterday[1], here and on the pypi-announce[2] and
general Python announcement[3] lists, we have shut down legacy.pypi.org,
on schedule. (See the notes from our final weekly call[4], a screenshot
of all our closed milestones[5], a screenshot of the hit ratio for
Legacy going to 0%[6], and Ernest pouring out a toast to the old
codebase[7].)

This is the last weekly report you'll get from me on this project, as
the MOSS funding has nearly run out (we set aside a little for me to run
the PyCon sprint and for Nicole to run the EuroPython sprint).

Thanks so much to Mozilla's Open Source Support program for the award[8]
that enabled this work[9]. And thanks to the PSF and its Packaging
Working Group[10] for facilitating it.
Highlights from the last week:

The podcast Talk Python To Me released an episode interviewing Dustin
Ingram, Nicole Harris, and Ernest W. Durbin III about Warehouse  -- you
can listen[11] or read the transcript[12]. And the Python Bytes podcast
had a short chat about Warehouse[13] as well.

Ernest sunset Legacy[14], fixed a subsequent outage[15] (my fault for
putting a hostname in the title of a blog post!), updated a cabotage
setting[16], updated CDN configuration[17], and fixed another service
disruption[18]. And he improved search for XML-RPC endpoint users[19].

Since we got 1700+ responses to the "buy a feature" survey[20], we took
down the banner[21] -- Nicole notes that the data is really useful and
will really help with redesigning the project detail page! She also
fixed modal alignment[22] and table alignment[23] in IE11.

Dustin replaced our Twisted usage with gunicorn[24] and fixed an
edge case concerning identical canonical versions of a release[25],
and Dustin and Ernest made old pypi.python.org links for files,
display actions[26],  search and browse actions[27] redirect
appropriately. And Dustin merged "Support XML-RPC multicall"[28] and
then "Skip tweens for XML-RPC multicall subrequests"[29] then
"Deprecate XML-RPC MultiCall"[30] and I think we've all had
sequences like that in our lives.

Laura Hampton and I ran a Warehouse sprint night[31] in New York City
(giving participants several tasks at varying difficulty levels[32]),
where Corey Girard helped us make profile pages display "you" versus a
username more logically[33] -- thanks, Corey! -- and Kshitij Chawla
found a setup issue[34].  And the team found some more developer
experience snags and got to fixing them: PyPUG instructions[35], the
README[36], Docker instructions[37], discoverability for the
architecture overview[38].

We are slowing down a bit on pull request review and issue response as
our dedicated time on Warehouse comes to a close, but we still did a lot
of review and replying. Thanks to the volunteers who got pull requests
merged in the past week:
 * nixjdm, who added description_content_type to the JSON API[39]
 * cheungnj, who improved how we display the "last released" date on a
   project[40]
 * aalmazan, who fixed how we handle tab cycling inside active
   modals[41]
 * alex, who fixed a pytest argument[42]
 * kpayson64, who updated wheel types Warehouse supports[43] (see the
   followup conversation, on whether PyPI should allow Linux wheel
   uploads for ARM[44])

Special shoutout to GitHub user jdufresne[45] who has submitted a bunch
of pull requests to various projects, including setuptools[46], updating
their URLs from pypi.python.org to pypi.org (example[47]). I've done
some similar issue-opening (example[48]). And thanks to Donald Stufft
for helping with the infrastructure changeover[49]!

You can help by:

 * updating the distutils docs[50] to reflect how PyPI currently works
 * giving yeraydiazdiaz feedback on this approach to automated frontend
   testing[51]
 * keeping an eye on Warehouse pull requests and reviewing[52] them
 * telling hiring managers you know to consider hiring Ernest[53] and
   giving him paid time to work on PyPI
 * finding us at PyCon North America[54] and giving us friendly feedback

Dustin, Ernest, Laura, Nicole and I will continue volunteering a few
hours per week around here, just as many of us did before the project.
We're all grateful we got to work together and make this happen, and
hope to have further paid opportunities to dedicate time to this
infrastructure and its symbiotic community.
--
Sumana Harihareswara
(basically my last note as) Warehouse/PyPI project manager

Links:

   1.
https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/pypi-annou...@python.org/thread/2HTWYE4WPCOTIIIE3Z2IKLGDHYCWVR2J/
   2.