On Friday, May 25, 2018, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2018, at 5:11 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> > As an user, I want to use "sudo pip install" because packages
> > installed in /usr (or /usr/local) are accessible without having to
> > touch PYTHONPATH: the install directory is part of the default
> > sys.path.
>
> This is also true for "pip install --user", at least on the systems I'm
> familiar with. There are options to disable 'user site packages', but it's
> enabled by default.
>
> It's more annoying for scripts - on common Linux distributions, the user
> scripts location ~/.local/bin is not on PATH by default.

~/.local/bin is user-writeable. If ~/.local was on PATH or by default, it
could potentially preempt/modify the behavior of system libraries and
binaries; which is a security risk.

~/.local/bin/bash could be wrapper script that logs commands, for example.
If it's first in the path (as e.g. Homebrew does, IIRC), it's run when bare
`bash` or `/usr/bin/env bash` are executed.

pipsi creates isolated virtualenvs per-install which are isolated from
other library installs, but each env then must be upgraded separately.