The promise behind the limited ABI is exactly that if your extension works
on 3.x, it will also work on 3.y, for y >= x.

One thing to watch out for: normally extension modules on Linux and MacOS
don't try to link to libpython. Instead they trust that someone else will
make sure they only get loaded into a compatible python interpreter, and
that all the symbols they need from python will be injected by the host
process.

On Windows, the way the dynamic loader works, you can't do this: every
extension module has to explicitly say "I'm getting PyNumber_Add from the
dll named: somethingsomething.dll"

But traditionally, version X.Y of python includes a pythonXY.dll, so
there's no consistent name across releases. So even if your library uses
only the limited ABI and all of your imports could just as well come from
python36.dll or python37.dll... you need some way to express that, and only
Windows has this problem.

I feel bad sending this without doing my own research, but I don't have
access to a Windows box right now. Does anyone know if this problem has
been solved? Is it still true that Windows python dlls always include the
python version in their name?

-n