Sorry - yes you can absolutely participate. Reviews, issue triage, PRs, etc.

We haven't totally settled on a forum for chat, but given that this is an
international sprint even the "in the room" people are in two different
countries, so we're going to need that kind of communication.

For now, we'll try and make sure mentors are available in #pypa on freenode.

The org project on github for pypa is:

https://github.com/orgs/pypa/projects/1

That are some more links in my "intro talk" here:
https://github.com/pganssle-talks/pypa-sprint-2018