Den lör 1 dec. 2018 kl 09:41 skrev Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com>:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:13 AM Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> > Do we lose the ability for a system to explicitly declare that it is or
> > isn't compatible with a given manylinux variant (via the _manylinux?
>
> Good question.
>
> Straw man: if _manylinux is importable, and
> _manylinux.manylinux_compatible is defined, then it must be a
> callable, and manylinux_compatible(<tag>) returns whether the given
> tag should be considered supported.
>
> Immediate question: should the possible return values be True/False,
> or a ternary True/False/use-the-default-detection-logic?
>
> > Presumably it would still require a new PEP, and changes to various tools,
> > to allow manylinux wheels based around an alternative libc implementation?
> > Is it worth naming these tags like manylinux_glibc_2_12, to anticipate that
> > possibility? Or is that unnecessary verbosity?
>
> In practice, the "many" in "manylinux" has always been code for
> "glibc-based", so "manylinux_glibc" is kind of redundant. I guess we
> could call them "linux_glibc_2_12_x86_64", but at this point python
> devs seem to understand the manylinux name, so changing names would
> probably cause more confusion than clarity.

As a Linux Python dev, even if I've sort of learned what "manylinux"
means (not least of all from following these discussions :p), I would
much prefer the "linux_glibc_2_12_x86_64" style tag. It's nice and
explicit and conveys some info, and sort of follows the same style as
the macOS ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Elvis