I recently had to rebuild a server and find that pip 18.1 is apparently unable
to install at least some older packages eg

$ bin/pip install fcrypt
Collecting fcrypt
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement fcrypt (from
versions: )
No matching distribution found for fcrypt

the version I needed is in fact the last released 1.3.1  (in 2004) and it was
installed by an earlier pip. I tried being more explicit

$ bin/pip install fcrypt==1.3.1
Collecting fcrypt==1.3.1
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement fcrypt==1.3.1 (from
versions: )
No matching distribution found for fcrypt==1.3.1

I assume that latest pip needs information from the package / pypi data that is not available. Luckily installing from a pypi download works.

Is there any legacy mode in pip? It seems wrong to cause these older packages
to become unusable.
--
Robin Becker