On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 21:10, Bert JW Regeer <xiste...@0x58.com> wrote:
> I will admit that I have yet to test if pip passes through the environment
> un-modified, because in that case I may just end up using the environment
> variable in setup.py directly.

While PEP 517 doesn't specifically call this out, build frontends
pretty much need to ensure that environment variables will be passed
through faithfully to build backends, otherwise language independent
settings like SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH won't work properly, and neither will
the environment variables for non-Python build tools invoked from the
build backend.

The pep517 helper library at the very least works that way:
https://github.com/pypa/pep517/blob/2f97e1bd61e63a1c2d3979cafe7fd8c7689c9bde/pep517/wrappers.py#L139