Hello,

  recently I started to develop a tool in python.
I discovered pip and setuptool with setup.py. It's fantastic! I can provide
packaging  to pypi and to rpm all in a row.
I follow these guidelines:
-
https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/#generating-distribution-archives
- https://docs.python.org/3/distutils/builtdist.html?highlight=rpm
- https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/

With %{?python_enable_dependency_generator} the RPM provides the dependecies
itself. Fantastic!

But how to force the developers to use consistent names? :D

For instance these python-magic and redis client packages:

  https://pypi.org/project/python-magic
  https://pypi.org/project/redis/

use names which conflict with already existent rpm packages names. In
particular, "redis" in rpm is the name of the Redis server package! If I make
"bdist_rpm" of python Redis client and I "yum install" the package I damage my
system deleting the Redis server!
The Redis client developer says that he can't change the name because this will
break existent installations:
https://github.com/andymccurdy/redis-py/pull/385

I think this is not a good situation. Python environment should help to improve
an "inconsistent" setup.

As a result, I have to make bdist_rpm of the dependencies, then I have to
install the source rpm, change the name in SPEC file and rebuild the rpm
package. In my package I can't use %{?python_enable_dependency_generator},
because it uses the fault pypi names, I have to provide them myself. :(

Thank you for reading this noise
Have a fantastic python day

  Marco