On 24Jun2020 1923, David Mathog wrote:
I think I will experiment a little with pipenv and if necessary after
each package install use a script to remove the installed libraries
and replace them with a hard link to the one in the common area.
Maybe it will be possible to put in those links before installing the
package of interest (like for scanpy, see first post), which will
hopefully keep it from having to rebuild all those packages too.

Here's a recent discussion about this exact idea (with a link to an earlier discussion on this list): https://discuss.python.org/t/proposal-sharing-distrbution-installations-in-general/2524

It's totally possible, though it's always a balance of trade-offs. Some of the people on that post may be interested in developing a tool to automate parts of the process.

Cheers,
Steve