The main thing for you to do is to double-check all the names you type in *before* you install anything. Most of the "security" issues come down to people trying to catch misspellings ("typo-squatting"), so if you've spelled everything correctly, you'll get the packages you expected.

If you don't even trust *those* packages, or their dependencies, you're signing up for a whole lot more work (reviewing code, manually creating a private mirror, curation, etc.). Ultimately it will be up to you to decide who you trust and how much you trust them.

I believe the infrastructure itself to be trustworthy, and most of the people publishing popular packages are trustworthy. But ultimately you're on your own right now for detecting impersonation.

Cheers,
Steve