Dear Selene,

First, I am sorry – to anyone who has to deal with ignorance and/or harassment
in the broader OSM community. I won’t pretend I can exactly put myself in your
shoes, but I know I wouldn’t want to be there. I want to help build an
environment where we at least have a way to address harassment. I took a quick
look over the main website and searched the wiki for “harassment” and it only
comes up with Codes of Conduct for conferences. A search for similar terms also
returns pretty much nothing. So taking away those of us who know other OSM
people and those who are brave enough to speak out on a list, etc. – how many
potentially valuable contributors have been harassed out of the project because
there is apparently nothing you can do about it?

I see great people on this list who I have no doubt can write an amazing Code
of Conduct and maybe enforce it on this list and get other list admins to do
the same, great start, but we really need the fundamental governance mechanisms
to be adopted and enforced at the OSMF.

For clarity, I am a voting member of HOT and was their chair when we were in a
similar situation and needed the mechanisms to enforce respectable behavior –
which was not fun and took a long time. I am also a paying member of the OSM-US
mainly because I run a few local meetups. But I am not, and will not be, a
paying member of the OSMF until there is some significant work done to make OSM
a safer community.

I urge everyone to pick their battles, but please – don’t feed the trolls,

=Russ

Russell Deffner

russell.deff...@hotosm.org