Paul Webster wrote:
> GPIO Pull up/down differences?

I can't tell.  The gpio utility with wiringpi reports that the expected
pins have their pull-up resistors set, i.e. they have a value of 1.
There's apparently a pintest tool as well, but that's apparently not
part of the pCP6 version of wiringpi.

I've substituted my 4B 1GB as my main server/player now, and even after
applying the two mods (GPIO3 restart and USB temperature reduction) the
buttons are all working perfectly.  So it's definitely something about
the (my?) 4B 4GB.  I'm tempted to buy another, as I'll always find a use
for it, but I think I'll wait till the version with the corrected USB-C
power circuit is available.