I having similar issues to Aki7 and DOliana, though also some
successes:

1. As soon as I run pigpiod on the test player (which requires sudo?
Otherwise I get "Sorry, you don't have permission to run this program.
Try running as root, e.g. precede the command with sudo") the music cuts
out on that player.

2. In addition to above, as soon as its enabled on the test player the
music stream to other players skips rather frequently (like every
second). The sound doesn't actually cut out, but it just skips ahead a
few milliseconds constantly. As soon as I kill the test player, the
music returns to normal. Turning off the other players and using just
the test player (and the server pi) doesn't change the behavior.

3. The buttons and encoder worked right away manually using the commands
that Chill suggested :D (though running it as a script didn't work due
to the need of sudo for pigpiod?). Play/pause and next/prev work audibly
across the server as desired and even though there is no sound coming
out of the unit, I can see the volume setting go up and down by watching
the test player's status on the browser.

I have the server running on a Pi 3B+, the test player is a pi zeroW,
and other players are pi zeroWs too (running the older wiringpi version,
which works flawlessly). The pi zeroWs (both the test and regular) are
connected to i2s style DACs/Amps (Pimoroni pHAT DAC, Adafruit AMP
bonnet). I have confirmed via pinout.xyz that there are no shared pins
between my button/encoder setup and these HATs.

FYI in case others want to try I'm using:

Code:
    sbpd b,25,PLAY,2 b,4,NEXT,2 b,26,PREV,2 e,6,5,VOLU,4

Any help would be appreciated (or just a way to fall back to the old
version, which is no longer available?). I'm happy to run some tests on
this hardware if needed. I don't have a pi 4.