Do you know what the google server is?  Is it OpenFire (I don't know -
probably not as it is unlikely to cope with what they do - or maybe it
does?).

I made the proposal to garner response from the list - no one responded.

Maybe you could start by commenting on what serves you know don't
require the change, in an effort to try issolating the problem.

For instance - EJabberd doesn't appear to give any trouble.

Cheers,
Piers harding.