Hi all,

I'd like to ask about the reasons for having a Structure _*versus*_ Content
mode switch. We do front-end editing to avoid losing context with what we
want to change. Now, when we switch to structure mode all the content is
hidden---and we lose context. I've seen this impression confirmed with
unskilled, untrained, first-time, and elderly users.

Structure information is good for precise editing, it should be supportive
information though. The real state of the page should stay visible, so the
context remains established.

How about doing editing as with Firebug (Inspect Element, etc. in your web
browser)? With a structure panel open on one side of web page (and a plugin
panel / toolbox open on another side of the web page) we could have all the
information we need for editing visible at the same time. When hovering
over a plugin or placeholder on either the web page or the structure panel
the corresponding element on the other could be highlighted. Just like web
developers love it when analyzing a web site.

Any thoughts on this?
Peter

--
Message URL: