On Dec 30, 7:06 am, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Secondly, IMHO raw truncation based on characters is bad practice for
> human readable text. A sentence is composed of words, not characters.
> Truncating a sentence mid-word isn't a typographical practice that I
> particularly want to encourage.

I think the question that needs to be asked now is: What would it take
to convince the core members that this belongs in core?

There are obviously a *lot* of django developers that want this, best
practice or not, and web development is often about making trade-offs
that work best for your scenario. Two of Django's core philosophies
(correct me if I'm wrong...) are making common developer tasks easy,
and keeping things DRY, and the current state of string truncation in
Django is neither of those things.

I've seen a few +1's but no -1's, despite some resistance. Can we get
the opinions of a few more core developers so that this has a chance
of slipping in before the Jan. 5 feature deadline?