The Django admin is a major—if not *the* major—selling point to
budding developers. I worry that externalizing it (hence making it a
*separate* piece of software that needs to be discovered and
installed, which seems simple but can be quite a challenge to new
coders) might take away Django's non-expert appeal. When I started
using Django, I knew no python. The only reason I was able to make
that work was because of the Django admin. If the admin gets kicked
out, I think it should be made *very* obvious where to find one.

I'd be wary of putting them in core but I think using Bootstrap and
Less for a new admin (whether internal or external) would make its
development much faster. Dependencies should not be a problem. I think
jQuery is a pretty apt analogy here. You probably won't write much
javascript for the Django admin without learning jQuery. You can if
you want to. But most people don't need or want to write javascript
for the Django admin anyway. I think a framework like Bootstrap it
would actually simplify adding new features. It provides so many CSS
classes that there's a pretty good chance your feature wouldn't
require you to write even a line of CSS. I was able to convert an
unstyled app that I've been working on to functionally using Bootstrap
in just about an hour after starting to learn it.

That having been said, I'd still be cautious with Bootstrap. It is a
young piece of software that is incredibly impressive and mind-
bogglingly easy to use, but obviously still in flux.