On 01-06-12 16:54, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:

I think as a whole we're.... divided. Luke's opinions differ from
mine, and it's entirely unclear to me who's "right" or even if there's
a "right" to be had. And that's just the two of us!

I think this might be a situation where we need some more feedback
from the community and some more time to decide what the right move
here is.

So... what do *you* think?

Class based views as such are wonderful. The possibility to use them is great, if your usecase warrants them. My company has two base CBV classes that are used in *all* our projects. Nice for our productivity.

But...

- Hey, looky! Somebody looked at Zope's 2003 codebase and thought that mixin classes were great! You know that Zope basically started its zope.interface adapter machinery because those mixin classes became too complex?

- All those generic views muck up the PR a lot. A CBV seems intended for a generic view. But it is (more) useful outside those.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/