Yes, wheezy.web is much more bare metal compared to Django :
http://packages.python.org/wheezy.web/tutorial.html

From: Daniel Sokolowski
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:32 AM
To: django-developers@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: URL dispatcher slow?

The middlewares appear to be disabled and the test bypasses the template system
too:
https://bitbucket.org/akorn/helloworld/src/c3f2d44dfca7/02-routing/django/helloworld/settings.py?at=default
 but yes Aymeric is right that Django provides a lot of convenience by default.
In my opinion I rather take convenience as speed has not been a issue to me,
but one thing though is that these benchmarks are  transparent enough to give
them some validity.