On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why does every conversation about Django's performance met with "GTFO we
> don't care"? (that was a rhetorical question :). I'd venture to guess that
> most "It's fast enough for me!" responses are predicated on experiences that
> can be likened to personal blog development, rather than large scale, 10+
> server deployments (e.g., Disqus, et al).

At $JOB, we used to write our websites in C++. No, really, we used to
write all our web apps as part of custom apache modules that used our
own C++ framework. If I compared our C++ url routing code against any
of those python stacks tested, it would absolutely murder them. Yet we
don't write new websites in C++ - why?

The expensive parts of a website are not routing requests, it is DB
queries and waiting to write responses to clients. When you look at it
like that, the speed of "grunt" parts of your framework is simply not
relevant. Django's template system is considerably faster than our
XSLT templates we used in C++ (that doesn't paint XSLT in a good
light).

So, the benchmarks are interesting. They tell us which stacks are
fully featured, and which stacks are very lightweight. Apart from
that, they don't tell us much at all - is Django's template engine
slow, or is it about right for the work it does? This benchmark
doesn't tell us that, it only says it is slower than a bare bones
template engine, which is unsurprising, and shouldn't be a cause for
concern.

Cheers

Tom