Hi all,

On Thursday 30 May 2013, Andrew Godwin wrote:

> The proposals are:
>
>  1. Change syncdb so that it both does the old behaviour (adds models for
> unmigrated apps), and additionally runs any outstanding migrations. There
> would be a separate "migrate" command for more complex operations, such as
> reversing them or faking application, which is a little odd.
>
>  2. Leave syncdb as it is, like South does, and have everything happen
> through a "migrate" command. Leads to weird interactions where each command
> knows about the other, and must be run in a certain order, but which isn't
> immediately obvious.
>
>  3. Do everything through a single command - migrations, non-migrated
> syncing, reversal of migrations, etc. I would call this command "migrate",
> and start a deprecation cycle on "syncdb" (which  would turn into an alias
> to "migrate"). Calling "./manage.py migrate" would first sync unmigrated
> apps, and then run migrations, but would have options so a user could
> migrate (or sync!) specific apps/target migrations.

Naming aside, I see little value in an operation that runs the current syncdb
without running pending migrations. Thus, -1 on option 2.

Between 1 and 3, I tend towards 3, assuming that the default operation (that
is, with no flags or arguments) is the equivalent of South's current
"syncdb --migrate" -- that is, the syncdb of option 1. I don't like the
current situation, where syncdb without --migrate is not useful and migrate
requires an explicit choice of apps.

Shai