On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:56:16AM -0700, Sjoerd Job Postmus wrote:
> I'm not sure if I agree.
>
> On the one hand I would like to say:
>
> "I agree. For instance, if the type is `hex`, it would be really weird if
> it were to be cast to an int. For `uuid`, would you expect a `UUID`
> instance, or just a string?"
>
> but alternatively, ...
>
> "Wouldn't it be really cool if you could specify like
> `<model(myapp.Blog):post>`, and it does a `get_object_or_404(myapp.Blog,
> post)`, and passing the actual **instance** to the view?"

As cool as this idea sounds, I really don't think the URL dispatcher
is a correct component to make database queries. FWIW, I've seen
similar magic implemented in view decorators, and the thing I remember
the most from this experience was that it made it a lot harder to
follow what was happening where.

Moreover, I can imagine this turning into a complicated mess of a
syntax to allow query customizations using a weird DSL really quickly.
After all, if we allow PK lookups, it's not that unreasonable to also
want to be able to lookup by other keys, and it all goes downhill from
here.

Cheers,

Michal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/20160915083755.GU6601%40koniiiik.org.