Hi, I would like to reopen the following issue from two years ago to change
the test name in Django's test output from unittest's default to the full
"dotted name":

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23332

This would make rerunning failing tests easier because then the test name
could simply be copy and pasted from the command-line as is.

Tim told me that to reopen the issue, it needed to be discussed on this
list first and consensus reached. See Tim's comment (as well as some of my
reasoning for why I think the issue should be reopened) here:

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27255

I put together a patch here with tests so you can see the PR that I was
planning to propose:

https://github.com/cjerdonek/django/commits/dotted-name-test-output

The approach is simply to subclass unittest.TextTestResult and override its
getDescription() method to use the dotted name instead of unittest's
current, less helpful format. Django already has an example of subclassing
TextTestResult with its DebugSQLTextTestResult class.

Thanks,
--Chris

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5ab3f23b-04c0-455e-8f33-7502e14f9fe9%40googlegroups.com.