I think I'm OK with `list_aggregates` because it implies a terminal
queryset method which really restricts the members used to create that
aggregation (the GROUP BY). Adding aggregates to existing list_display
would require something *else* to refine the group by using `values()`.

If list_aggregates is a useful feature, then this sounds like an
appropriate way to implement that. Regular annotations could be added and
processed within list_display, provided list_display was modified to accept
expressions (either aggregates or regular annotations) in tuple form for
alias support.

list_aggregates -> queryset.aggregate()
list_display -> queryset.annotate(annotations).values()

Does that make sense?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/95509037-34d2-4747-abab-64e319db292c%40googlegroups.com.