Hi,

"it could be possible to provide such a widget in contrib.admin".

The current PR provides a django.contrib.admin.widgets.AutocompleteSelect
widget. Does that work?

You could subclass it to use a different URL instead of the built-in
admin:autocomplete url if needed. My one worry is that if we end up adding
more code to handle use cases different from the admin, we'll just end up
re-inventing and maintaining django-select2. But, maybe simply re-using the
widget or subclassing the widget is good enough?

Thanks,
Collin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFO84S4V7fwyuOCB-LXfUnfFFfaQkQKyMM4%2B8V0UXQUHg4BesA%40mail.gmail.com.