I've recently been introduced to `django-environ`, a similar library that
has additional features to DB connect URLs that we may want to consider:
https://github.com/joke2k/django-environ

It has the same issue with third party DB engines; for example, I recently
issued a PR to include `pyodbc` as an option. It has some nice newcomer
friendly features, such as a cleaner way of determining BASE_URL /
SITE_ROOT. Have a look at the URL for a good "before" and "after" settings
file example.

Having full support for .env files would make Django projects easier to
bring in line with 12-factor.

Regards,

Tim

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/95a17c45-7421-43e8-96ce-f9cc81bc82a0%40googlegroups.com.