Another approach would be to do what I laid out in this talk at DjangoCon US
2015, following the last Summer of Code student who tackled (tangentially) this
problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgM0qmpHDiE

That is - finish the modifications needed to Django’s core such that an
arbitrary model can register in a way compatible with the Admin and Forms
library. This was one of the reasons given for standardising the meta-model
framework, but didn’t make it into Daniel’s GSoC project, although he *did* get
a proof of concept working that exposed your Gmail inbox in Django’s admin.

This would allow *any* data backend to expose an interface that is
fundamentally compatible with Django - which, really, just means “I want to
browse my data in the admin” and “I want to display a form for my model”.

It won’t allow an arbitrary ORM query to run against an arbitrary “NoSQL”
backend - but that’s idea was never going to work anyway. But I don’t think
anyone is serious about wanting that, either. All they want is the ability to
integrate a non-SQL data source into their basic Django visualisations.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4767F19D-7CC5-4A17-A843-5E787757A392%40keith-magee.com.