I think this can mislead the developers to think mark_safe solves it all.

The forums are full of answers with *Use mark_safe;* *Use htmlfield|safe;*

Maybe Django should start warning about mark_safe on the logs, then change
the behavior. (Or even deprecate and remove)

Things like this we tend to blame the users, but it's there for using and
it says *"SAFE"*.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c4da4fc8-6565-42d8-bb4a-d9a8601ae355%40googlegroups.com.