Can: yes. Should: no.

I would be really saddened to see companies being able to buy security by
throwing money at us. That makes us look like we can be bought. And that sends
the wrong signal, from my perspective. Timely security updates should be
available to everyone.

Should enterprises sponsor the DSF, open source projects, or the open source
community in general: yes, absolutely.

What we could think about is something where companies above a yearly revenue
of US$ x need to sponsor in order to be on a pre-notification list. But the
moment we do that we put people's data at risk. A company that doesn't want to
pay for that sponsorship and thus won't get pre-notifications may remain on an
insecure version longer that they should or would if they had received a
pre-notification. And that's terrible as well.

My 2ยข

Markus

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1538558277.1719089.1528965704.3DA7E4ED%40webmail.messagingengine.com.